Sunday, June 29, 2014

What We're Reading This Week


We are reading The BFG as a family right now.  It's pretty darn great.  Both the book and how much we all love family reading time.  My kids all look forward to it and, so far, have been willing to try out any book I want to read.

I first read The BFG in third grade.  Well, actually, it was read to me by my third grade teacher.  I can't remember her name, I do remember she was from the south and had a wonderful accent.  I loved reading time. 

So far my kids favorite chapter is "Frobscottle and Whizpoppers."  If you haven't read it, you really should, I guarantee that chapter will get a few, if not more than a few, giggles.

Makenna wants to make a giant dictionary when we're finished reading it, the Big Friendly Giant's vocabulary is unique.  And awesome. 


When I was younger, I would spend lots of time wandering around the library.  I loved to look at the spines, randomly pulling off books that looked interesting and finding new authors/series to read. 

After not doing it in years (lots and lots of years), I started perusing again a few weeks ago. 

It's been a lot of fun and while not every book I pull off has been a winner, I really enjoyed this one.  Thistle and Twigg is about two older women who, after becoming friends, discover a dead body and proceed to uncover the mystery surrounding it.  In the process they befriend an eccentric elderly man and his dog, shoot a lot of different guns, and save a beautiful forest.  It was definitely fluff, but good fluffy fun.

What have you been reading lately?

Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...