Thursday, June 26, 2014

Hiking this Summer

One of my summer goals is to go hiking each week. 

There are so many trails in my area, minutes from my house actually, it seems a shame not to check them out.

Plus, it's good for us in a variety of ways.  It's healthy to be together, get exercise and be in nature (usually...see death defying picture further on).

My favorite kind of hikes are those that have something to see at the end (or even along the way) and one of our first hikes didn't disappoint.


Beautiful views.


And a gorgeous waterfall.

Even though my sister (who still lives in Oregon where we grew up) told me I need to come back to see what a real waterfall looks like.  Love you, Brea!


There were rocks all over at the base of the waterfall and the kids had fun scrambling around and over them.


My mom came down for a visit and went with us.  Okay, okay, actually, the hike was her idea.

And yes, I know, she doesn't look old enough to be my mother.  But she is.  I'm really hoping that that is one of the genes she passed down to me.


Does that look as terrifying as I think it does?  Like almost not death defying?

I try really hard to let my children be children.  To run around, fall down and get back up again.  I don't want to over-mother them and keep them from figuring out how to fail and keep on moving.

But, I also don't want them to FALL TO THEIR DEATHS!!

I saw this, took a quick picture and then told them to get down.  Now.

We all have our limits, right?


This is one of my favorite pictures of the falls from that day.  I love the light at the top.  It somehow fills me with happiness, just looking at it.

What's one of your goals this summer?  I'd love to hear about them!

Leah

2 comments:

  1. teehee, I'm from Oregon too and I took one look at that waterfall and thought, "That's not a waterfall!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious because when I showed my sister (who still lives in the Portland area) the pictures, that the exact same thing she said. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...