Sunday, July 21, 2013

July Family Home Evening - Week 4

Okay, after talking about how much I really liked have all my lessons picked out in the beginning of the month, life taught me a lesson.  One I already know, but get re-taught all the time.

All the darn time.

There is no one right way.  And even when there is ONE way I particularly like, that way still might not always match my life.

Which is why instead of one day (and one post) to figure out my month of FHE's, I've had three.

What I've learned along with the no one right way lesson is one of the most important lessons of my life and has been expressed by many people in many different ways. 

Do it. 
Just do it. 
Keep putting one foot in front of the other. 
Just keep swimming.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that popped into my head.  The point is to not stop trying.  Even when things don't work out the way I want.  Even when I fail miserably. 

Okay, this has veered off my original topic, but I feel pretty strongly about it.  You can do it.  And so can I.  WE CAN DO IT! 

You know, whatever it is that we're trying to do. 

Like family home evening.  Yep, I'm finally back to my original topic.

This week has a strange holiday, Pioneer Day.  I wasn't raised in Utah (although I live here now) and so I'd never heard of Pioneer Day until about seven years ago.  Even if you don't reside in Utah, you can still celebrate it (you just won't get the day off work like we do, I know strange).  It's also a great excuse to take some time out to talk about the sacrifices made by those who began our church.

And then you can talk about how we, today, can also be pioneers.  Have you read the first article in July's Ensign?  I hadn't until today.  In Primary our fill-in chorister had the kids sing "To Be a Pioneer" and she talked to them about President Monson's article.  It's great.  You should take a few minutes and read it, it's not very long.

Then, while thinking this would be a great family night topic and wondering if the Ensign article would work as a family night, I found this lesson on Parenting in the Latter-days about the EXACT SAME TOPIC.  Really.  It's based off the song and is almost like she and President Monson got together (the Ensign has some great ideas how to adapt the article to teach older kids and you can use those to adapt the lesson).

Have a wonderful Pioneer day!
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...