Monday, July 29, 2013

August Sharing Time Theme

I love this months theme!  Do I seem to say that a lot? 

I'm pretty sure I do.  I'm also pretty sure it's because the gospel is amazing.

It is such a gift in our lives and I'm finding that one of my very favorite things about it is getting to teach and share my seemingly ever growing love for it with those around me.

We know that our Heavenly Father knows and loves every single one of us individually and we are blessed to know that he loves to hear from us "unceasingly." 

I also love the scripture this month (one of my very favorite hymns is based off of it).


We print these off each month for our kids and reward them with a smarty if they memorize it sometime during the month, you know, for being such a smart-ey (you can download a pdf here if you'd like to use it)! 

It's been taught over and over that pride is a terrible sin AND that it's one we all suffer from.  Too often I find prideful thoughts (over usually silly things) enter my mind and I'll try to crowd them out by singing Be Thou Humble in my head (I'm thankful that I'm only off key when I sing out loud). 

This is a great "packet of light" to put into our minds!

The first two weeks this month talk about how and when to pray using the story of Alma, Amulek and the Zoramites found in Alma 31 - 34.  I love what Amulek teaches us about prayer in Alma 34:17-27. 

He tells us all the places and reasons we should be praying and then says, "But this is not all; ye must pour out your souls..."  Is that how you pray?  I think I need a little more work (and by little, I sort of mean a bunch).

The last two weeks focus on how we receive answers to our prayers.  How do we, or can we, receive revelation.  I started looking for some conference talks on the subject to help me feel more inspired when I walked by the August Ensign we received a few days ago. 

Have you gotten yours yet?  Have you had a chance to look at it?  On the front cover, in large print it says, "Opening the Channels of Revelation, pp. 22, 48."  Perfection. 

Elder Oaks teaches us that the Lord's time is often different than our own and that we need to work for revelation.  He says,  "We will get promptings of the Spirit when we have done everything we can, when we are out in the sun working..."

Elder Kearon, of the Seventy, tells us that the Spirit will not always wait for us to hear Him, "if we do not heed the gentle feelings, the Spirit will withdraw and wait until we come seeking and listening."

If you're using the Amor of God for your primary this year, this is the month to add the Knee Pads to your guy.  We can only choose the right by consistently getting on our knees in prayer!!



Have a wonderful month teaching and inspiring those you are blessed to teach!
Leah

Week 1 Ideas
Week 2 Ideas
Week 3 Ideas
Week 4 Ideas will be coming next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...