Sunday, June 23, 2013

How will you use your beauty?

I finished up a book a week or so ago where the author relates a personal story when she visited a homeschool prom. She was curious how it might differ from recollections of her own prom night. Although she spent much of her time disparaging the girls modest attire, the dancing a foot apart and how very polite everyone was to each other, she related one conversation that stuck with me.

The conversation went contrary to the point she seemed to be making (which is part of the reason why I remember it so vividly) and it was also kind of awesome. She was in the girls restroom when a group of girls came in to fix their makeup and she started asking them questions. After discovering that one of the girls had recently attended a public school prom, the author asked her which she liked better.

The girl said the homeschool prom and when prodded to further explain her reasoning, she mentioned a few reason.  First, there was a lot more dancing at this prom which was more fun. And second, the boys treated her nicer and, in a whisper, she said that she felt like a lady (I don't have the book in front of me, it was a library book that I've since returned, but this is accurate to the best of my recollection).

She felt like a lady. That seemed to echo through my head as I read it. What was it that made her feel like a lady?

Then a few days ago, I came across this video on Facebook.



I love it.  I love the statistics and I love her journey of discovery that led to designing her own line of swim suits.  There are a few wonderful lines in it (well, more than a few, but these are my favorites).  First, "Modesty is about revealing our dignity" and second, "How will you use your beauty?"

I'm not 100% positive that this was the reason for the prom girl feeling like a lady at the more modest prom (in dress, action and probably music), but I would guess that it was. 

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...