Friday, March 15, 2013

Potato Chips

In case you were unaware, yesterday was National Potato Chip day.  All I can say is, YUM!

We found out about it when I was perusing the Homeschooling Classroom a few weeks ago and I KNEW this was one day of recognition we just couldn't let pass by un-well-recognized. 

Did you know that potato chips began with an irritable customer and a fed up chef?  This grumpy customer kept sending back his french fries claiming they were too soggy until finally, Chef George Crum had enough.  He sliced the potatoes so thin that after frying them, you couldn't eat them with a fork.  "Ha," he thought as he sent them out, "that'll show him."  And it did.  They became so popular Crum added them to his restaurants menu!

All I can say is, thank you grumpy customer!  We need more people like you (just don't tell my sister I said that, she spent years in food service and might do something mean to me).

Since then potato chips have become just a smidge popular.  So popular people keep experimenting trying to find the next best flavor.  I know invention is a good thing, ingenuity and all that, but every once in a while, do you just wonder why?  Why would someone go to the trouble of trying to make a chip taste like Haggis and Cracked Black Pepper?  Why?  To check out some more weird flavors, go here.

We celebrated by watching a video on YouTube over and over and over.  My kids were sort of obsessed.  There are probably better videos out there, but I didn't take the time to look around, if you watched a fun one, shoot me a link so we can check it out.  Although, my kids didn't mind, they thought it was so cool they watched the video about 5 times while they ate homemade potato chips.

This recipe is so darn simple.  Really, really simple.  And they even turned out really good.  Good enough I'm definitely going to make them again.  All you do is cut a potato really thin (that was my job), drizzle a little oil in a zip loc baggie, throw the potatoes in with the oil and moosh it all together really good.  That was my kids favorite part. 

After they're good and covered, lay them in a single layer on a plate and microwave them.  Yes, I did say microwave.  Yes, it does work.  It took ours about 9 minutes (check after 7-8) until they were browning, which means crisp. 

I took them out (don't forget a hot pad, I didn't use one the first time and it didn't end well for my fingers), dumped them on a paper towel and sprinkled salt and pepper all over.  YUM!



Here are my kids, watching the potato chip video for probably the 4th time, eating yummy chips and finishing up their leprechauns from yesterday.  A pretty great day, if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...