Monday, February 25, 2013

Helmet of Salvation

One thing I miss about other callings I've had at church is the research.  When teaching the youth or the women I always read several talks and scriptures and learn A LOT!  While I do learn in primary, it's not exactly the same.

So,To fill in that lack and even help me teach better in primary, I thought I'd read and study about the piece of armor we add each month. 

In March (this up coming Sunday...where is the year going already?!) we'll be adding the helmet of salvation.

1 Thessalonians 5:8 says, "But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation."

I really like the use of the word hope.  Especially when we keep in mind that it is the scriptural version of the word hope, not today's definition.  Hope is not, "Well, I hope the Broncos are going to win the Superbowl this year," although my husband really would've liked that to have happened.  This sort of hope implies uncertainty and it is not how the scriptures use it the word.

Hope in the scriptural context means the confidence we have in our Savior Jesus Christ.  Something firm and unshakable, in fact Hebrews 6:19 says, "Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil." 

Our hope in Christ is an anchor.  It is an anchor not just for our soul, but for our faith.  It is what propels us forward and lets light into our lives. 

I searched through some conference talks and came up with these three to read:

The Infinite Power of Hope, by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Hope, by Elder Steven L. Snow
An Eternal Hope in Christ, by President Spencer W. Kimball

Over this week I'm going to study these and do a topical search in my scriptures to LEARN so I can better TEACH.

I'm not actually teaching during sharing time this month, but I will be posting some ideas on how to incorporate the helmet of salvation into your sharing time.  If you have any great ideas you want to share with the others, comment so we can all learn together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...