Saturday, October 20, 2012

Busy Day

Today was slightly crazy running from basketball practices (just starting up), soccer games (last of the fall season), a baby shower and trying to get ready for B's birthday party. 

Before I go on, with a show of hands, how many of you think only a terrible parent would read a book off and on during a child's soccer game?  I'm going to pretend everyone agreed unanimously that I'm not, I mean it wouldn't, and keep going.



I was reading Brene Brown's book titled The Gifts of Imperfection and I came across my favorite part so far.  To be honest, I started out not liking the book.  Then I sort of liked it, but it also sort of made me uncomfortable (in a I think this might be talking about me and I'm pretty sure I wish it wasn't way) and now I just like it.  Plain old like. 

My favorite part, and one that I am going to do with my husband/family, is to figure out what makes us happy.  Sounds complicated, right?  It's not.  Now, following through consistently after you've figured it out might be a little harder (at least it's been for Brene's family), but it sure seems worth it.

Ask yourself a simple question.  What makes your family (or yourself) work?  Not big gigantic things, but little everyday things.  When you've had a good day/week, what are the things that you've been doing?  Brene's list included things like: working out, sleep, going to church, weekends away, time with family and time to just hang out.  Not long after making the list, Brene and her husband compared it to their list of personal goals and realized that all their goals boiled down to either making more money or spending more money.  Neither of which had any influence on their family list.  So they re-prioritized and made changes in their lives. 

A year or two ago I thought about making a family mission statement and reading about this has re-energized that desire.  Except now, I want to make it based off the things that are most important.  The little, everyday things that will lead to my family being happier today (not after we finally build that dream house we've been talking about for more than a decade).  I'm pretty excited about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...